Are you a newlywed?
Did you just get engaged?
Are you and your partner looking to take your relationship to the next level?
When you’re considering marriage, deciding on your honeymoon or figuring out where you want to live are among the first things you start to plan. Pre-marital counseling might be last on your list, if it’s there at all. While it’s not an engagement topic that’s very fun or romantic, pre-marital counseling can set your marriage up to succeed and survive long-term, in spite of those odds that inevitably come up when you tell that skeptic in your life that you’re engaged.
Pre-marital counseling can help you and your significant other improve your relationship by helping you develop better communication skills, learn conflict management, uncover your shared core values as well as identify differences that could create future conflict. Working with a therapist, you can discuss expectations with your partner that will help better prepare both of you for marriage.
So if any of these sound like you:
- You want to define your marital roles and expectations
- You want to set yourself up for a happy healthy long term relationship
- You want to be on the same page with values and identify differences
- You want to learn how to manage gridlock arguments
- You want to learn connection and communication skills that can last a lifetime
- You and your partner have arguments that don’t get resolved
- You feel like you’re always the one who has to compromise to keep the peace
- You’re concerned about how your partner’s financial situation will affect you as a married couple
- You’re worried about losing affection or having a diminished sex life after marriage
- You want to find healthier ways to resolve conflict
… Then pre-marital counseling can be a great benefit to both you and your partner.
The intimate nature of marriage requires that you talk to your partner though the hard stuff, no matter how awkward or uncomfortable. Pre-marital counseling will help you learn how to be a better more empathetic listener, and how to make your voice and needs heard in a productive and positive manner. How you argue, how you love, and how you communicate will all be a part of your love story. Let’s chat about how to do those things in a healthy connected way, regardless of what you learned in your family of origin.
Pre-marital counseling will also show you how to handle conflict in your marriage. You will learn some of the biggest predictors of divorce AND their antidotes. When you spend a lifetime with someone, you will have arguments ranging from the very mundane to more serious issues. Wouldn’t it be great to know you are prepared?
In pre-marital counseling, we will likely bring up topics that you’ve discussed with your partner previously, as well as subjects you hadn’t considered before. This fresh perspective from an objective third party will uncover new details from your partner. This is also an excellent time for us to find unexpected areas where you disagree, and give you the tools to handle possible future conflict.
Getting married is one of life’s most treasured experiences. Pre-marital counseling can help you and your partner turn that momentous occasion into a loving, lasting relationship. For guidance and support to strengthen your future marriage, please reach out today so we can schedule an appointment.